Al Risalaa Secondary School
Al-Risaalah School is an independent Muslim day school in Tooting, in South West London. It was founded in 1993 under the auspices of Balham Mosque to provide care and education for children from the ages of 3 to 11. The initial enrolment for the first class at Balham was for eight children and the number of applications grew year on year.
The primary part of the school gained maintained and voluntary aided (VA) status in September 2004, becoming known as Gatton VA primary school and moved to new premises in January 2006.
The schools currently cater for children aged 3 - 16 cross boroughs and the provisions are based on various sites.
The nursery is housed on the ground floor of a recently renovated old victorian school building.
The secondary school is based in a former cinema, which also houses the Tooting Islamic Centre and is only a short walk from the nursery. The boys secondary school use one floor of the cinema building and the girls use another floor. The school facilities are used a great deal by the local community out-of-school hours and the school hall is used to extend the Mosque’s provision for weekly congregational prayer on Fridays.
The school is managed by the Al-Risaala Educational Trust. The school had its last OfSTED inspected in June 2006. In its prospectus the school asserts that its fundamental aim is to provide for its students ‘a first class education…. grounded in the tradition of academic rigour, focused on developing…. the skills and confidence to face the challenge and enjoy the opportunities of life in the twenty first century, while at the same time inculcating…the character and religion to live as a true Muslim.’ It provides ‘a segregated environment’ for boys and girls to enable them to pursue their studies in a manner keeping with Islamic beliefs, values and traditions. It seeks to blend the National Curriculum with additional Islamic components, thus ‘breaking down the barriers between state and religious education, reuniting these two strands of knowledge into a complete Islamic education system.’
In 1998, with the dedicated committee members and the assistance of the Almighty, the Al-Risaalah Education Trust was formed. This led to the first ever purpose built Islamic Primary School in the UK. This was a £6.5 Million project which was completed in 2005 with a 10% contribution of the total project given by committed members. May Allah (swt) reward them for their vision, efforts and hard work over the years.
The Al-Risaalah Education Trust has now expanded to offer the following:
· Provision of Nursery education for 90 children at 10 Gatton Road, SW17
· A purpose built Voluntary Aided Primary School for 420 children, who recently achieved outstanding recognition for their work in community cohesion from OfSTED.
· Secondary School for boys and girls (taught separately) at Tooting Islamic Centre. They recently achieved a 80% pass rate for G.C.S.E
· Orchard VA Primary School, SW2, which offers Primary education. Orchard School was established in July 2003 and became a Voluntary Aided school in September 2006. It is a single form school located in Streatham Hill, Lambeth.
· In 2005, the Mosque in line with their long term objective of establishing further Secondary education provision, acquired a site of 33 acres on William Booth Road, near Crystal Palace.
Click here for more information on Al-Risaala school, including admissions enquiries. http://alrisaalaschool.com/#
145 Upper Tooting Road, London, SW17 7TJ
Tel: 020 87676057
TYPE: Independent, boys and girls
- This institution
- LA average
- National average
Bar charts show performance relative to the worst/best
PUPILS WITH EQUIVALENT OF FIVE OR MORE GCSES GRADE C OR ABOVE INCLUDING ENGLISH AND MATHS (%)
Pupils getting at least two good GCSEs in sciences: 94%
Pupils with at least one modern language GCSE: 64%